Thursday, October 25, 2007

A workplace fraud with dangers

Work has found me once more. I don't like it, but I'll have to go along with it. I've found myself incarcerated in a darkened basement room of Manchester town hall this week as part of a new temporary employment arrangement with Manchester City Council. Each week will see contestants - erm, I mean me - catapulted into alien office environs on different work placements, performing menial tasks for a cash prize. At the moment I'm with the Fraud Investigation Group, transcribing taped interrogations of alleged benefit fraudsters. Naturally my pledge of confidentiality precludes me from revealing any particulars about the ongoing cases here (give me a call), but what I can say is they're scoundrels, scavengers and leeches the lot of them.

I get to listen to a succession of characters explaining - usually in their thickest Mancunian accents - exactly why they didn't consider having thousands of pounds stashed away in a bank account relevant information when filling out a benefit claim form. "I jus'... I jus' di'n't think it woh necessary yeh knoh?" Yeah, I knoh alright. This country is going to the dogs; mind you, an evening's entertainment at the local greyhound racing track has never done anyone any harm. But no, seriously - some of these people are unbelievable. At least stash your thousands under the floorboards of a delapidated outhouse if you're serious about this whole benefits thing.

One joy of temping is that there's no pressure to develop genuine or lasting relationships with your colleagues. Permanent staff regard 'the temp' as an extraterrestrial being to be, rightly, approached with a great deal of caution. The fact I won't be in any one place for very long means idle chatter can pass off without later recriminations for any perceived conversational contradictions. I could paint myself as a risk-taking, surf-loving, wall-shagging extreme (sorry, Xtreme) sports knob if I so wish. In fact I might try that. And then alter my persona with each council department I'm placed in, until I'm eventually sussed out by those famous 'town hall bosses' I always read so much about (but am yet to see anywhere, whether bossing the corridors, the toilets, or just the staff) and marched from the building.

When I'm not preoccupied with trying to work out how I'm supposed to transcribe alleged fraudsters' wholly inarticulate noises such as 'urgh-hurgh', 'hmmffph' and 'jaffaquack', I occasionally pick up on tidbits of the office conversation from those with real jobs. I can tell you all about the relative ages of the members of Take That if you're interested. Yesterday I picked up on a conversation about the pitfalls of men wearing white underwear - namely that when you sweat, the white goes a bit yellow. Yes, we all know that, but does nobody else perform a quick circumnavigation of the hips with a roll-on anti-perspirant each morning? Clearly not. At one point today I became so bored with people repeating themselves on the tape I was transcribing that I found myself transfixed on the woman eating a grapefruit the size of a brain tumour on the other side of the office. But regardless... it's twenty-seven times better than the call centre, I'll tell you that for nothing.

PS: In other news, following a protracted saga too infuriating to describe here, I should have the internet in the flat after the weekend. Which is a relief.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I'm enjoying picturing you as some sort of Harry Caul in 'The Conversation' type figure. Please dress accordingly.

October 26, 2007 10:12 am  
Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, louis vuitton handbags, air max, kate spade handbags, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, coach purses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, nike free, louboutin, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, prada outlet, tiffany and co, air max, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp handbags, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet

October 31, 2014 6:53 am  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer, hogan outlet, longchamp, north face, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan, louboutin, ralph lauren, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, nike air max, nike tn, north face, hollister, michael kors, air force, michael kors, true religion jeans, nike free pas cher, lululemon, sac longchamp, vanessa bruno, mulberry, nike roshe run, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, louis vuitton, air max pas cher, timberland, nike free, air max, sac louis vuitton, polo lacoste, converse pas cher, sac guess, hollister, michael kors pas cher, new balance pas cher, louis vuitton uk, polo ralph lauren, oakley pas cher, sac burberry, sac hermes, air max, sac louis vuitton

October 31, 2014 6:58 am  
Blogger oakleyses said...

celine handbags, reebok outlet, vans shoes, bottega veneta, soccer shoes, wedding dresses, p90x, mac cosmetics, ugg boots, new balance shoes, marc jacobs, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, nike huarache, ugg australia, north face jackets, nike trainers, ghd, babyliss pro, nike roshe, soccer jerseys, ugg, ugg pas cher, birkin bag, north face outlet, barbour, instyler, herve leger, beats by dre, mont blanc, abercrombie and fitch, nfl jerseys, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, hollister, asics running shoes, lululemon outlet, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, valentino shoes, insanity workout, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, rolex watches, longchamp

October 31, 2014 7:04 am  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister, montre homme, moncler, gucci, rolex watches, karen millen, moncler, canada goose, baseball bats, ray ban, timberland boots, iphone 6 cases, louis vuitton, lancel, moncler, converse shoes, vans, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, ugg boots, canada goose uk, supra shoes, toms shoes, canada goose, canada goose jackets, canada goose, moncler outlet, ugg, oakley, canada goose outlet, parajumpers, ugg, moncler, louboutin, coach outlet store online, canada goose, hollister, converse, air max, hollister clothing store, juicy couture outlet, moncler, moncler, canada goose, air max, wedding dresses

October 31, 2014 7:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home