Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The year's last, loveliest smile

Autumn is perhaps my favourite season of the year, closely followed by winter. I like the general feeling of nature's maturity and impending decay and gloom. And the fact everyone else seems to be brought down a peg or two from their misguided summer bounciness. Additionally, I appreciate the autumnal colours brought to our leaves, whether they be squashed on the pavements or lounging nonchalantly atop a branch.


Platt Fields Park, Manchester, this morning

I was reading the other day about the fact that this is one of the most colourful seasons we've had for years. The spell of still, mild weather we've been having - as well as the wet summer followed by a dry autumn - has provided ideal conditions for producing such golden colours as those depicted above. The stillness means we can enjoy this year's autumnal feast above our heads rather than below, and I think it makes for delightful viewing. If we get a few gales then it'll all be on the floor, of course, but then it means we can skip along gaily kicking the leaves into the air and giggling wildly. So it's the best of both worlds.

4 Comments:

Blogger D.B. said...

Couldn't agree more. It's the best of times. I always wheel out the following quote, nicked from the sleeve of some Manics single years ago:

“I love the autumn, for its sense of melancholy seems to strike my need for sadness. There is poetry in the dying of the year and mystery as well.” KYFFIN WILLIAMS

Speaking of which, that quote also appears in the zine as part of an Autumn-themed Young Republic review I wrote. It's all finished now and I sold 14 copies (!!) at a gig in M'Brough last night with the help of a friend of mine.

It seemed to go down well and you'll be pleased to know that you're one of only three contributors (me included) credited by name in the inside cover. You're famous now, Paddy.

October 17, 2007 11:39 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

To be incredibly pretentious for a change, Edinburgh is life-affirming at this time of the year. The sun is high and that means a chill perfect for cardigan wearing when going to the Co-op, which is always nice.

It also means I get to hear locals saying "och, that's the nights fair drawing in the noo ye ken pal", which I like.

D.B - could I procure a copy of your fanzine by some means?

October 18, 2007 9:13 am  
Blogger Paddy said...

Glad to hear sales are going well D.B., and sorry about never getting round to doing the Frank Turner bit. My basement 'cafe' online existence means time has been at a premium (so naturally I use it to peddle all this blog horseshit, instead). It's probably for the best that you just pressed on with things. I'll look forward to seeing it.

Your Edinburgh locals are sharp Daniel; how do they know you've got a pal called Ken?

October 18, 2007 12:26 pm  
Blogger D.B. said...

No worries about the Frank Turner review, pal. To be honest, by the time it came to putting it all together, I was struggling for space. I conducted a hell of a lot of interviews with various people - about 10 or 15 pages worth overall. The whole thing is 32 pages with a colour cover. I've gone and done an "FMTTM" which means I'm having to charge £1.50 a copy to cover costs, but I was really pleased the other night when people seemed to think it respresented value.

Dan - no probs, just drop me a line at modernlonelyzine@hotmail.co.uk or alternatively send £1.50 directly to that address via PayPal. Or if you're planning on going to any gigs in Boro between now and Christmas, particularly at the Knights, I'll no doubt have copies with me then.

October 20, 2007 8:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home