Sunday, October 21, 2007

He didn't disappoint me

Rufus Wainwright, that is. I was finally afforded my first audience with the great man on Thursday night when he frequented Manchester Apollo and delivered a spellbinding set. I've been waiting to see him for a couple of years, and in truth he surpassed my expectations. I didn't realise he'd be quite such a showman, so varied, and quite so funny with his between-song patter. He puts on a proper musical extravaganza: solo; big band; spangly suits; lederhosen; and a ridiculous encore of Judy Garland's 'Get Happy', mimed in drag with fishnet stockings and all. True entertainment spread over two hours' stage time with a twenty-minute interval.

Some may find Wainwright slushy, but I consider him a songwriting genius. And one who will probably only be fully and truly appreciated once he's dead, as is often the way. I'm thankful that I'll get to repeat the experience next weekend. I've managed to make the mother figure into a Rufus fan too and, as a result, am taking her to see him in Harrogate, where we'll be close enough to be showered in spittle from our front row seats.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

He seems to be a lovely fella too, which is always a bonus.

I can't wait to hear what the folk of Harrogate make of him. I once accompanied my own mother figure to a Jimmy Nail concert there (yes I know, but it was that or let her go on her own and we all know mother figures need our help).

Jimmy said something along the lines of "this song is about a witch, but the witch is really a prime minister who came and took all of the jobs in New-castle away. That witch was That-cha".

There came then a ripple of applause from Mum and I, but otherwise silence, and then some gentle booing.

How strange to think it is in Yorkshire. I suppose it is like the way Durham, with all its unbearably posh students, is plonked in the middle of mining country.

October 22, 2007 10:36 am  
Blogger Gez said...

He's my second favourite gay, after Morrissey. Coincidently both are as mad as a bag of bees.

October 22, 2007 5:11 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

I like to picture Jimmy Nail reading Gez's comment and barking:

"Who's he callin' a woofta like? I'll knock his fuckin' block off, tha little shite. Tha's nee way he's gettin' awa' wi' that man."

October 23, 2007 9:02 am  
Blogger Paddy said...

It'd be brilliant if Jimmy Nail was gay.

Just would.

October 23, 2007 7:14 pm  
Blogger Gez said...

I know for a FACT that Jimmy Nail is as gay as the hills. My mate knows his sister's friend and he said that Jimmy tried to bribe Simon Amstell with sexual favours in exchange for a guest spot on Buzzcocks.

"Howay pet, would it help if I buzzed YOUR cock - knahwatamean like, petal"

That's what he said all right.

October 28, 2007 12:31 pm  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20160325
montblanc pens
ugg boots
cheap basketball shoes
oakley outlet
louis vuitton outlet
prada outlet
prada handbags
coach outlet
ralph lauren
louis vuitton bags
jordan retro 4
louis vuitton handbags
christian louboutin shoes
pandora outlet
lebron 13
cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses
rolex watches
louis vuitton purses
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors handbags
tory burch boots
instyler max
louis vuitton handbags
mcm handbags
pandora charms
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton uk
uggs outlet
michael kors handbags
abercrombie kids
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet online
air force 1
coach outlet store online
canada goose sale
nike sb janoski
louis vuitton outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
prada outlet
as

March 25, 2016 12:19 am  
Blogger حجز فنادق فى شرم الشيخ said...


حجز فنادق فى شرم الشيخ

حجز فنادق بشرم الشيخ

افضل حجز فنادق فى شرم الشيخ

April 11, 2017 3:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home