Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What's it all 'aboot'?

Happy New Year. Yes, I wish you goodness in celebrating our passing from one moment onto the next moment, and then attaching some form of extra importance to the fact. I'm not quite sure what it's all about - that precise moment when 2006 became 2007 didn't feel particularly different to all the other moments I experience through the rest of the year. No little tingles or special buzzes, just a general pang about my person like the rest of the time. Time is just another little irrelevance. A human construct that, if taken too seriously, serves only to limit our capabilities and endeavours. The calendar is a chain around our necks. He who is without the time is truly free. So long as you still know when Neighbours starts.

I tend to mentally document my life in terms of academic years anyway. It all has much more structure that way. You can say you were, for example, in third year of secondary school, second year college, or third year at university, and then you can place yourself in your personal history so much more easily. It ties in with football seasons too, which helps. And I know you could say academic years are just another human construct, so I'm contradicting myself, and you'd be right to do so. But it's just a better one, so it's OK. I don't dislike all human constructs. For instance, I like tea coasters.

People generally looked happy enough when the special moment passed anyway, so I suppose New Year can be considered an acceptable little irrelevant tradition of ours in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home