Friday, July 20, 2007

Permitgate: The Appeal

In more car news, today I posted off my appeal for a parking ticket I got in Nottingham last weekend. Despite us actually having two visitor's permits for mine and Anna's cars, I left mine outside for about fifteen minutes permitless because we weren't sure where one was and I'd handed the other one over to Anna when she arrived. "It'll be OK for ten minutes," we said. It was extremely unfortunate that an over-zealous parking attendant had the temerity to do his job properly in that short space of time. So it's a £60 fine, or £30 if I pay it within 14 days, if the charge stands. Hopefully my hastily penned and slightly economical-with-the-truth appeal will do the trick and end this sorry mess though. I shall fight on the beaches, I shall fight in the streets and in their respective council-maintained parking bays; I shall never surrender:

Notice Serial No.: NG70225541
Vehicle Registration: P730 JOX


Dear sir/madam,

I am writing regarding the parking ticket attached to my car windscreen on Saturday 14th July just minutes after arriving to visit friends who live in Harrington Drive, Nottingham. Upon arriving I went inside the house to greet my friends and was told I needed to display a visitor’s permit, so they went to find it. Although it wasn’t found immediately, it was less than ten minutes later that I went back outside to display it, only to find a penalty charge already on my screen. Please find enclosed a photograph of the valid visitor’s permit in my possession for the weekend.

Although I appreciate the technicalities of the situation and must commend your parking attendant for their admirable efficiency in the workplace, I would ask that you rescind the penalty charge. It was merely an unfortunate coincidence that the attendant arrived within the short period it took my friends to find the permit. It was displayed for the rest of the weekend until I returned home. As a visitor to Nottingham, the incident put a dampener on my trip and leaves a negative impression of your city. I hope that you will recognise the basis for my enquiry and look forward to hearing of the fine's cancellation.

Yours faithfully,

P. Dillon




To be continued.