Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Great Carwashed

It's not that I want to constantly bore all blogees with the mundanities of my everyday life, but yesterday I went to the carwash. And pleasantly, what could be considered an obligation or possibly even a chore turned out to be quite a therapeutic experience. Come on down to the next paragraph and I'll tell you all about it.



I like the way you have to completely seal yourself away inside your car when you go in these things. Making sure the doors are closed properly and that the windows are fully wound up, cocooning yourself away from the world. You're effectively doing the same things you'd do if you noticed a masked band of hooligans and scallywags charging towards you, or if a friend you didn't really want to speak to was knocking on the offside front window. Once I'd entered the activation code and then proceeded forward to the correct position below the vast veranda of vehicular cleanliness, I turned off the engine and put the iPod onto 'shuffle' while I waited. The first song to come on was the exceptional Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Truly a song to bring the carwash experience to life; those dark vocals and terrifying stacatto keyboards along with the stark tolling bell throughout combine very effectively with the windscreen blackouts and constant turbulence provided by your average 360° hydro-dynamic brush wash. I think taking the Padmobile through the carwash is the closest I'll ever get to going through rehab. I felt cleansed when it all ended, and I think it was all the better for the fact it was actually really sunny behind those big black brushes.

He's a ghost, he's a god, he's a man, he's a guru
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his RED RIGHT HAND